The winter season is about to set in full swing, and along with cold weather, festivities and wedding fun comes another element: air pollution in Delhi/NCR! With the end of the summer, people with oily skin might be able to breathe a short sigh of relief but don’t be fooled – the onset of crop burning also means smoke, traffic and dust.
Some of the harmful effects of pollution can be noted as below:
- Ageing and wrinkles
- Pimples and blackheads
- Removes natural oils from your skin
- Dust congests pores
- Rids off the skin from oxygen and hence leads to dullness
It is thus no surprise that patchy skin, dryness, dark spots and dullness are almost everywhere in the metros. So the question is, what can one possibly do to prevent these ill effects before it’s too late?
- Sunscreen Application: Although the sun may seem weaker as compared to how it was during the scorching heat, do not forget to apply your sunscreen on a daily basis, in order to prevent darkening of existing spots or harm from UV rays including premature wrinkles, dullness and tanning. Perenne’s Broad Spectrum Sunscreen, for example, contains SPF 50 and is a natural remedy with antioxidants for natural, glowing skin. Its non-greasy formula is rich in botanical extracts like green tea, kiwi, grapefruit and licorice root extracts which help in not only prevention from UVA but also UVB rays.
- Home Remedies: A mixture of Shikakai Powder, Channa ka Atta, and Haldi powder makes for a great soap. Including grated ginger to your diet also helps the immune system as gingerol helps in reducing airway inflammation and inhibiting airway contraction. A mixture of Haldi and curd to have been claimed to help the natural radiance come out on the skin.
- Daily Regime: Sensitive or Acne-prone skin needs special care during this season, and a strong cleansing routine is necessary to keep the skin radiant at all times. The Perenne Oil Control Clarifying CTM range (hyperlink here) is specially designed for such skin and is free of parabens and silicon, making it completely safe! Further, the regime is a simple daily one which one should undertake regardless of the season or reason – cleansing, toning and moisturising your skin is essential to keep your skin healthy and clean.
- Eating Habits: It is necessary to flush out toxins from the body for healthier, glowing skin. Food like Avocado is high in healthy fats which protect the skin from harmful UV rays, while Fatty Fish has Omega-3 acids and Vitamin E – thus proving to be a natural moisturiser and antioxidant. Berries and Dark chocolate too are natural antioxidants – providing better blood flow, while Soy increases collagen and reduces elasticity. Further, drinking 10-15ml of tulsi juice or Haldi milk daily steers clear of pollutants from your respiratory tract.
- Oil Bath: Taking an oil bath once a week can lead to replenishment of oils on the skin. Simply put a few drops of oil in the bucket or tub of water, or use an appropriate bath & shower oil while bathing.
- Moisturising: Before sleeping, one must take out a few seconds to moisturise their skin every night, leaving it hydrated and supple for the next day. Using a natural moisturiser with Tea Tree Oil, such as Perenne Clarifying Oil Control Moisturiser Gel, can greatly improve skin texture and help in preventing acne. The presence of the ingredient White Water Lily extract nourishes and moisturises the skin making it soft, supple and healthy. Bark Extract in it is a natural exfoliant and has the ability to help skin shed dead cells and clear pores. It can also stimulate new cell formation while Tea tree oil present in it has skin-soothing properties and is also an antioxidant.
- Attire: Try to wear a jacket or a coat while going out so that it shields you from the direct effect of pollution.
- Use warm water and scrub, to wash your face after coming home, in addition to your daily CTM routine!
How can the CTM regime help?
In today’s world, it is necessary to follow a regime that can help in controlling the effect of external radicals and get the freshness your skin deserves, back. Cleansing, Toning and Moisturising is an essential part of skincare.
- Clarifying Facewash deeply cleanses the skin and leaves skin clean and hydrated, removing all dust and impure particles.
- Clarifying Toner tightens the pores and prevents further breakouts by maintaining the necessary pH balance.
- Clarifying Moisturising Gel nourishes and moisturises the skin making it soft and supple.